Monday, November 14, 2011

Between frying eggs and washing sheets.

Business is dropping off which gives us a break to travel ourselves and to spend some times on our hobbies.  I love to bow hunt.  It gives me an opportunity and the time to reassess my life and relationships.  Sitting on a board in a tree for hours is probably not every one's cup of tea but I find it calms my sole and mind.   Beautiful sunrises and sunsets simply can not be described nor do photographs do them justice. I believe some of them gives us a glimpse of the 'gold' waiting in heaven.
   

The calming effect of the sun's warm rays and just being able to have quite time to think and reflect. Watching the birds feed in the trees......the sound of dry leaves rustling that draw my attention to squirrels chasing each other on the ground...the call of flocks of geese and sand hill cranes as they travel south and the sudtle movement in the brush that might be a deer.  

Early morning frosts blanket the ground and as the sun warms things (including me) I start noticing little changes like reflections of moisture off the vegetation and maybe even off a spider web on the branch next to me.



I become mesmerized by the calm and beauty around me and then I hear an unusual sound...possibly an antler being scraped on a sapling....or a simply the unexplained presence of another.   I slowing move my head and look..... there staring at me.....those black eyes have me nailed!!


This type of hunting is humbling because you have to get so close to the wildlife your pursuing.  It make it easier for the animal to see you move, to hear your heart beat, and to smell you.  It's a type of hunting that filled with adrenalin rushes and 'buck fever' boardered by periods of quite time.   But the satisfaction of placing my arrow in the right place for a quick, effective kill is worth makes the experience unreal.   It might even be worth a self portrait to prove to myself I was actually there and it wasn't a dream.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment