Thursday, November 17, 2011

A Copper Fire Extinquisher

I found an old copper fire extinguisher while going through the barn one day.  One of those you see in old movies.  It was dirty and had several coats of old paint.  The hose was missing and it hadn't seen the light of day for decades.  They are plated with copper and brass and when polished up really look attractive.   So, I thought I'd give it a try.

The extinguisher was pretty heavy; probably 30 pounds and it was over half full of liquid.  I tipped it a little and this foul looking liquid spilled out the hose attachment so I took it outside and turned it upside down to try to drain it out. What do you know?  After decades it still worked!  It started shooting this foamy, gray fluid about 20 feet.  After about 15 seconds it stopped leaving the tank nearly empty. 


1920's Fire Extinguisher

The top is made out of cast brass and is threaded.  A little fluid remained in the tank and I didn't want anyone playing with it and creating a mess.  So I got a crow bar and heavy hammer and tried braking the top loose.  It wouldn't budge and I even brake the handle on the hammer (it was about as old as the extinguisher) so I sprayed it with WD-40 and let it set for a couple of days.   I tried again and finally, it broke loose and I got the top off. 

What I found was a glass acid bottle, heavy glass stopper that was held in a brass frame near the top of the extinguisher.  When it was turned upside down, the stopper dropped out allowing the acid to mix with the soda solution causing the rapid expansion of gas that "Wha-La" forced the fluid out of the hose.  It actually worked after decades!

The brass face plate says it's reusable, but I think I'll stay with our new extinguishers.  The old style was simple yet effective; a concept that is fairly rare today.   It's doubtful this could be sold today because of the use of sulfuric acid.  

To recharge the extinguisher, you added 1.5 pounds of baking soda and about 3 gals of water.  You then fill the glass, acid bottle half full of sulfuric acid and replace the stopper.  The bottle and its holder slides down the throat of the extinguisher and lugs hold it from falling in.  You simply have to screw the top on securely and remember not to tip it over until you need it.   

Anyway, I stripped the canister with paint remover and then used brass polish and 0000 steel wool to remove the tarnish.  It took two bottles of brass polish and a LOT of scrubbing.  I discovered that copper tarnishes VERY easily so when I got it shined up, I sprayed it with clear lacquer to prevent it from tarnishing again.  

These extinguishers originally had a red rubber hole and a small brass nozzle.  I'm still looking for those, until then the black hose will have to do.  I'm pretty pleased with the results.

2 comments:

  1. Fire fighting equipment may as well not be there if it does not work properly - maintaining and servicing fire extinguishers is not only a legal requirement but a necessity in terms of safety. Find out what your responsibilities are for servicing fire extinguishers.

    Las Vegas Fire Extinguisher Service

    ReplyDelete