Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Gremlins in the Circuitry


Owners of century old homes know something going to need attention.  The question is always; What and When?
The other day our lights wouldn’t work in the bedroom.  Circuit breaker?   Sure enough and I recent it; perfect.  Next day-no lights again.  The breaker wouldn’t set.  Each time I tried to reset it: ZZZZZZap!
OK,  possibly it’s a weak breaker; I switched it.  ZZZZZap! 

Sudden fear and anxiety.  Something, some WHERE in the circuit was a short and worst of all, that could be in the wall.   Did a mouse or squirrel chew through a wire?  When you live in a 110 year old house, those thoughts go through your mind.  

First thing, I had to find where that circuit ran.   I found 2 dead wall receptacles in our bedroom, a bedroom and closet light that didn't work, a dead hallway light and receptacle and an upstairs wall receptacle that didn't work. More than 100 feet of wiring; most hidden in the walls and luckily, only 3 major junction boxes
.
Luckily, I was able to track the Romex to the basement and followed it to where it went up into the first junction box.  I pulled out the wires in the first receptacle; 4 black (power) wires were connected with a twist connector.  I separated them and tried the breaker again.   NO ZZZZap!  So, the short wasn’t between the breaker box and that junction box; it was beyond.  

With a voltage meter I tested and found which of the 4 black wires was “hot”.   The three black wires fed the rest of the circuit, but which one was bad?  I started connection them one at a time until ZZZZap.  I found the guilty culprit. Off to the next junction box to repeat the procedure.    

I found 3 black wires joined together in that box which I disconnected.  I turned on the power.  NO ZZZap.  So no short between the two junction boxes and the breaker box.  I was gaining ground!.   I tested and found that “hot” wire and once again started reconnecting circuits, one at a time.  ZZZap!

I discovered it was a line going to our century old hall light.  Getting closer. 
I disconnected the old light fixture and reconnected the junction box wiring; NO ZZZap, power all the way to the old light fixture and NO shorts in the wall.  It had to be in the century old light fixture.

After close inspection, I discovered that power was arching in one of the old light sockets.  The old cardboard insulation had became bridle and started to crumble and sloughed off and it wired BACKWARDS.  Power was arching between the light socket and socket housing had actually welded the two pieces together!   The breaker would only go off, when the light switch was 'on'.  The circuit was fine when the light was turned off.   Thank God, no fire BUT I isolated the problem.



Off to Lowes.  They still sell the same type of brass light sockets.  I bought and replaced all 4 sockets.   Thirty minutes later, all was fixed and power was once again flowing; LIGHTS ON.   

I don't suggest you try something like this on your own.  I helped an electrician rewire our house so I was familiar on how the house was wired.   If you have a similar problem, I  strongly suggest you call a licensed electrician to help.  

Lastly, we just launched a new website: oftbnb.com.   Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment